FREE NEWSLETTER

Forum › Family

Lessons Learned from Taking Care of a 102 Year Old in Her Final Year

As I have written before in April of last year my wife and I decided to take in my 102 year old mother in law when her second husband, whom she married at 93, was sent to a nursing home. Amazingly that resulted in moving her out of their independent senior housing apartment.

Well she peacefully passed way yesterday morning at the age of just days past 103 1/4. As my wife’s cousin said in call yesterday, “ amazing, but she didn’t break the record of (my mother in law’s) aunt Edith (103 1/2 in 1988).”

I’ve always have read about what people have learned when reflecting on a loved one’s life when caring for them in their final days, and thought, yeah, right. However, I have found out it is true.

In the coming weeks and months I have decided to share some of these thoughts on what I learned and how it will hopefully, with a lot of help, change me as a person.

WARNING: These posts will have nothing to do with money as she always lived on very little.

But for the present time, it’s time for family to gather and celebrate a truly amazing woman’s amazing life.

More On This Topic

Email Alerts for this Comment Thread
Notify of
10 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Dan Wick
1 year ago

I will celebrate with you what must have been a great life lived by your mother in law. I am glad you got to spend a year with her learning what must have been a treasure trove of experiences.

Chris (baldscreen)
1 year ago

I am sorry for your loss, David. I will be looking forward to your thoughts. We are navigating similar waters with Spouse’s folks, and their brother with ALS that I have written about here enters hospice this afternoon. I will say prayers for your family as you gather to celebrate the life of your mother in law. Chris

Last edited 1 year ago by Chris (baldscreen)
mytimetotravel
1 year ago

I’m sorry for your loss, and great that and your wife cared for her this last year.

I am currently participating in a discussion group at my retirement community using “The Art of Dying Well” and will be interested in your thoughts.

Jack Hannam
1 year ago

We can learn a lot from our elders, if we would just listen to them. It is tragic when someone passes prematurely, but I have learned that when a loved one passes after reaching a very advanced age, it still hurts. I’m sure you will treasure those last days you had with her.

Marjorie Kondrack
1 year ago
Reply to  Jack Hannam

So very true. I lost my father suddenly when I was 13 and he was 40. It was tragic; but my mother lived to be 98. Still, when you lose the person who gave birth to you, it’s heart rending, no matter how old they are. We’re grateful for the time we’ve had with them and treasure the days, but the sadness of missing them never goes away.

William Perry
1 year ago

I also look forward to reading your thoughts when you share them with the Humble Dollar community.

Best, Bill

Jonathan Clements
Admin
1 year ago

David: Thanks for sharing your news, sad as it is. Like Dan, Rick and others, I look forward to your future posts. No mention of money? The site’s editor has no problem with that.

DAN SMITH
1 year ago

103, what a great run. David, I think Humble Dollar is about more than just money. Your experiences taking care of your mom will no doubt be helpful to many of us. I look forward to future posts and comments.

RCC
1 year ago

David, I’m very sorry for your loss. Taking care of someone is a true act of love. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Marjorie Kondrack
1 year ago
Reply to  RCC

Well said, Rick. It takes a loving heart.

Free Newsletter

Arrives weekly.

Select list(s):
SHARE
HumbleDollar · https://humbledollar.com/forum/lessons-learned-from-taking-care-of-a-102-year-old-in-her-final-year/ · printed Oct 11, 2026

Create an account

Our readers find logging in to HumbleDollar directly more reliable than going through Google, Disqus, WordPress.com or X.

Already have an account? Don’t make a second one. Log in with the provider you use now, then go to Your Account to set up direct login.

We send a confirmation link here before the account can be used.
Shown beside your comments and forum posts.
Password(Required)
Strength indicator
Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, webp, Max. file size: 5 MB.
Optional. Square images look best. JPG, PNG or WebP.
Optional. Appears on your author page.

Log in