FREE NEWSLETTER

Forum › Life Events

Lesson Four From Taking Care of a 102 yo in Her Last Year of Life- The Final Hours of Life Can be Beautiful

Unfortunately I have had a lot of experience in this realm. In an 18 month period during 2017-18. I first lost my twin brother at 59 years old; then almost 1 year later my father, and six months after that my mother each on one side or another of 85. Unfortunately all of them suffered from some type of dementia. As a result at the time of their passing we were unable to communicate with them. With my brother I remember sitting at his bedside thinking, can he hear us, does he know what’s happening (unlikely), or ie suffering?Another type of suffering can occur when one of the surviving siblings can make the final hours intolerable due to their behavior. I was not present at the final passing of my mother. The evening of her passing I could no longer tolerate the tension, broke down and told my wife,”I can’t go through this again”, and we left thinking that we would get a call if time was getting short, as my father’s passing took days. At 2 am the following morning I received a call from that family member that she had died. When I asked what happened the family member, “she was dying!”

Fast forward to this March and my mother in law was declining rapidly. Luckily the day before she passed despite being over 103 years old she was able to communicate with us and when we left around dinner time she thanked my wife and I for caring for her in her final decade including welcoming her into our home for the final year. It was definitely her saying goodbye. The night before her passing I could not sleep and after a half hour in bed I decided to head to the hospital to be with her, arriving just after midnight. When her condition would change I was able to immediately notify the nurses who would make her comfortable. The atmosphere was totally different from that of my family members’ last hours as it was very peaceful. My wife and daughter arrived in the early morning we reminisced, laughed, and cried. Less than three hours later her passing was dignified and peaceful, just what I had longed for with my family members.

Unfortunately, or fortunately I went through another dignified and peaceful passing of my uncle four days later with my aunt and two cousins and spouses.

My plea to HD readers is when you are I such a situation at the end of the life of a loved one please take into account that there are others around, that the process of watching a loved one pass is different for each individual, and try to make the event respectful and peaceful for all those involved.

More On This Topic

Email Alerts for this Comment Thread
Notify of
13 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Chris (baldscreen)
1 year ago

David, thank you. I am reading your series now that it has been a little time since Spouse’s brother passed. You have given us a great gift. Chris

Jo Bo
1 year ago

Condolences for all you have experienced so recently, David. Thank you for your posts and wise advice. My comment certainly is tangential to this post, as it comes in response to your related post which is now closed to comment.

I still correspond regularly with my soon to be 101 year old high school English teacher. She was very influential in my schooling and finding her in later life has been a treasure. Ever articulate even in declining health, her letters often touch on deeper meanings, poetry, and literature. Amazing to me is her abiding interest in the political direction of our nation so clearly expressed in writing. I would have predicted that interest in current events would ebb with age, but it has not. Perhaps this is a part of ourselves most difficult to change.

achnk53
1 year ago

Thanks, David for your posts on one of the deepest personal subject for all of us as we are all getting older and approaching our later days.
My family is about half way around the world from my birth place, so when my sister called to tell me our dad who was about 97 and dying from kidney failure may not made it through the night, I was sadden and the only prayer I could utter was to ask God “to hold on”. I want to be there at his side to hold