On March 25, 2025, the President of the United States signed Executive Order #14249 titled Protecting America’s Bank Account Against Fraud, Waste, and Abuse, which was published in the Federal Register on March 28.
The fact sheet states that, effective September 30, 2025, the Federal government will cease issuing paper checks for all disbursements, including intragovernmental payments, benefits, vendor payments, and tax refunds.
The fact sheet also states payments made to the Federal government, such as fees, fines, loans, and taxes, must also be processed electronically where permissible under existing law.
You can read the full Executive Order as it appears in the Federal Register here and the White House Fact Sheet which summarizes the Executive Order here.
If you are still writing paper checks to pay your estimated tax payments or the balance due then you may want to switch over to electronic payments sooner rather than later to avoid the learning curve.
I was stationed in Germany in 1973 and the first half of ’74 in a maintenance company for the Army’s Third Armored Division. When my company XO was promoted to CO, I was his personal clerk and driver for a while. The standard process to pay enlisted troops on our base was that once a month the XO, his driver and a appropriate armed detail would go to a nearby Kaserne where we received and counted the cash to pay everyone who did not have direct deposit which I would guess to be 90%+ of the enlisted men in our company of about 200 men (we had no women assigned to our company).
When we returned to our base we then divided the cash into the amount each man would receive. At that point usually mid-morning the company would fall into formation. After announcements those with direct deposit would be dismissed to go to their assigned duty post and then the XO and his clerk would pay those without direct deposit, man by man. I would count the money out and then the payee would also count the money and then sign their paper check to acknowledge payment in full as the XO supervised. The XO and I hated payday. When the XO was promoted he did something about this procedure.
On the first payday after his promotion to CO we had our normal formation but then things changed. No one was dismissed and the entire company walked (marching would not describe this) to the Kaserne at Erlensee from the Fliegerhorst Kaserne at Hanua a distance of about 7Km a little over 4 miles. We paid the men without direct deposit at Erlensee, and then the entire company walked back to Fliegerhorst. When we arrived back near the end of the day, we had another formation and my CO announced that he hoped everyone had enjoyed the day and noted that we would be following the same process every month until at least 90% of the company had elected direct deposit.
We did not have to make the walk again as most everyone had elected to have direct deposit by the next payday. My CO had found the right incentive. Yes, the CO and I also walked.
So, what motivates you best, the carrot or the stick?
Thanks for the heads-up. I can manage this just fine for my personal stuff. However, there is a small family trust I am trustee of, and this will be more difficult for this. It is with one of the major low-cost brokerage firms. They have rules like you can’t write a check for less than $250, and it is sheer hell trying to get a bank account linked because so many people have to get notarized signatures. How I’m ever going to get a payment to the government, I have no idea. I guess I need to be looking into this.
Great point about possible headaches making required payments related to IRS form 1041 in 2025. Currently, there are direct pay options from a bank account for many individual and business taxes but I do not see form 1041 listed on the kinds of payments that direct pay accepts for either individuals or businesses.
Unless direct pay is expanded to include 1041 payments or an exception to new payment requirements is carved out for paying 1041 taxes electronically, then you may be forced to make electronic deposits of tax on behalf of your trust by registering for and using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). Alternatively, if you use a paid preparer to electronically file your 1041 you may want to inquire if the tax software they use allows them to schedule electronic payments for the trust when they transmit the 1041 return.
I prefer electronic debits and credits, as well as digital coupons at the grocery store, but these things are beyond the skill set of many old folks as well as a good number of young people. I hope the less savvy among us can be accommodated.
I’ll take the carrot! Enjoyed the story!
Good to know! Interesting that the EO included the statement “This Executive Order does not establish a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).” (glad to hear that.)
I recently set up an account on IRS.gov to make estimated tax payments (until I have to start RMDs) and get an IP PIN.