FREE NEWSLETTER

Forum › In Retirement

2024 Update to the OASDI Beneficiaries by State and County

Almost four years ago I wrote an article about the 2020 OASDI Beneficiaries by State and County report. The report is put out by the Social Security Administration (SSA), and provides a wealth of interesting statistics. Here is the link to the 2024 report where you can investigate detailed national and local data.

Here are some basic numbers for context. As of December 2020, the U.S. population was 329,484,123. Four year later it had grown 3.5%, to 341,145,670. About 20% of the population receives some form of benefit. The population age 65 or older grew by 9.9%, to almost 18% of the population. The number of people receiving retirement benefits grew by a slightly less amount of 7.1%.  The table below provides some data indicating the change over the last four years. It’s not surprising that our population is trending older.

Item                                                    2020                            2024                     Increase 

US Population                                     329,484,123                341,145,670                3.5%

Population 65 or older                        55,659,365                  61,179,918                  9.9%

Receiving Benefits                              64,850,867                  68,455,973                  5.6%

Retirement Benefits                           48,329,595                  51,772,651                  7.1%

Survivor Benefits                                5,874,648                    5,785,602                    -1.5%

Disability Benefits                               8,151,016                    7,231,147                    -11.3%

West Virginia still has the largest population receiving benefits at 27.1% of the population. After that come Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.  Utah claimed the prize this time as the state with the lowest portion of the population receiving benefits, at 13.5%. The report provides county by county data for the 50 states, US territories, and US citizens living abroad. My favorites statistic is there are 360 people receiving benefits whose whereabouts are unknown.

Four years ago, I concluded the article by expressing hope that Congress would eventually make changes to shore up Social Security—because politicians wouldn’t want to risk the wrath of their constituents who are most likely (seniors) to vote. Almost four years later I still have hope, but it’s waning.

More On This Topic

Email Alerts for this Comment Thread
Notify of
25 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Donny Hrubes
1 year ago

Thank you Rick, I’ve put this site in the bookmarks. I appreciate your attention to the data.

William Dorner
1 year ago

My HOPE, is waning a lot. I think we are safe as retired people, but not totally. As changes are continually put off by our elected officials it sure looks like in a few years, our benefits will be reduced to keep SS working. I believe nothing the current Congress is saying about SS, it is all gobbledygook, and even believe less from the current administration.

Veggi Vet
1 year ago

The likelihood of Congress doing anything productive in this regard is lower than me becoming the next Pope.

Patrick Brennan
1 year ago