Just Do It
WANT TO TAKE SOME simple steps to improve your life, as well as that of those around you? Here are 11 things to do today:
- Look somebody in the eye and say, “Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.”
- Stop talking about yourself and, instead, ask folks about their life.
- Throw out something you’ve been meaning to get rid of.
- Read an article by somebody you disagree with—and think hard about whether he or she might be at least partially right.
- Stop pretending to family and friends that everything is great. Tell someone about a weakness you struggle with or a problem in your life.
- Think about somebody rich or famous. Now ask yourself: Is his or her life as great as you imagine—or is it a mixture of good and bad, just like yours? Arguably, the rich and famous have it worse than the rest of us: They have far more than others and yet they’re almost certainly dissatisfied. But at the same time, they can’t complain, because people will think they’re a bunch of whiners.
- Spend five extra minutes exercising.
- Donate to a charity.
- Get in touch with someone you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Ponder the things you’re looking forward to most in the year ahead.
- Take a moment to think about your favorite people and possessions—and be grateful for your good fortune.
Follow Jonathan on Twitter and on Facebook. His most recent articles include Eyes Forward, Low Blows and Saving Myself. Jonathan’s latest books: From Here to Financial Happiness and How to Think About Money.
Do you enjoy HumbleDollar? Please support our work with a donation. Want to receive daily email alerts about new articles? Click here. How about getting our weekly newsletter? Sign up now.