Writing for Our Site
INTERESTED IN WRITING for us? Here are the ground rules:
- Before putting pen to paper, email a brief description of your idea to Jonathan(at)JonathanClements.com. We’ll let you know within a few days whether we’re interested.
- HumbleDollar does not accept sponsored content or guest articles with affiliate marketing links. And, please, don’t pretend to be a writer simply looking to get published and then try to sneak in links to sites that are paying you a kickback. You aren’t that desperate for a few bucks, are you?
- Blog posts and articles should talk about a financial issue you have faced—and how you dealt with it. You may not have credibility as a financial guru. But if you write about an issue that you personally have grappled with, you’ll have instant credibility simply because you’ve experienced it. Uncomfortable discussing your own finances? HumbleDollar isn’t the right venue for your writing.
- Articles typically run 700 or 800 words, while blog posts are around 300 words. Expect to be edited and perhaps heavily edited. But fear not: Nothing will appear until you’ve had a chance to review it.
- Want to be edited less heavily? Check out our style guide.
- HumbleDollar will pay $50 per article and $20 per blog post if—and only if—the piece is published. HumbleDollar’s overriding goal is to help everyday Americans be smarter with their money. If you write for us, you should consider it a public service that happens to be accompanied by a small token of our thanks.
- If one of your articles or blog posts appears on HumbleDollar, please share it via Facebook, Twitter and any other social media platform you use.