Grin and Bear It
Jonathan Clements | March 11, 2020
IS THE STOCK MARKET swoon messing with your head? You don’t want to make this market decline any worse than it has to be. To that end, here are 10 steps that’ll help preserve your sanity and your portfolio:
- Avoid touching both your face and leveraged exchange-traded index funds.
- Change the password on your investment accounts to “ItsTooLateToSell.”
- Downgrade your opinion of investors based on their degree of hysteria.
- Don’t watch Contagion, Margin Call or the New York Knicks.
- Quarantine your emotions every time the Dow drops 1,000 points.
- After your brother-in-law finishes pontificating, ask whether he inherited his clairvoyance from his mother or his father.
- Avoid contact with insurance agents pitching equity-indexed annuities. Don’t shake hands with brokers on any deal that promises downside protection.
- Unless you live in a ranch-style house, stay away from open windows.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds after watching CNBC.
- Use the vacation fund to buy stocks. Mention it to your spouse after he’s had a few drinks.
Follow Jonathan on Twitter and on Facebook. His most recent articles include Bad News, Don’t Lose It and Stand Your Ground.
Do you enjoy HumbleDollar? Please support our work with a donation. Want to receive daily email alerts about new articles? Click here. How about getting our weekly newsletter? Sign up now.
FOR MORE THAN three decades, I have written and thought about money—and I like to believe I’ve been fairly consistent in my …
WHEN THE AXLE of my 2006 Honda broke in the middle of a North Philly thoroughfare in December and I needed $500 to …
I JUST ATTENDED the Madrid Open, a major clay court tennis tournament. It’s one of nine Masters series tournaments, ranked just below …