Jonathan Clements | July 15, 2017
WANT TO EARN the derision of the so-called smart money? Here are 12 ways to get yourself labeled a financial rube:
- Express optimism about the stock market.
- Stick with capitalization-weighted total market index funds.
- Pay off your mortgage early.
- “Arnott vs. Asness? Missed that one. Was it on pay per view?”
- Shun alternative investments.
- Buy and hold.
- Have no opinion on the economy and market valuations.
- Dollar-cost average.
- Own a target-date retirement fund.
- Never cite Ben Graham, John Maynard Keynes or Warren Buffett.
- Favor stocks that pay dividends.
- Buy on dips.
What if you persist with such foolishness? Contrary to what the smart money would have you believe, there’s every chance you’ll end up wealthy. And, no, it wouldn’t be dumb luck.
Do you enjoy HumbleDollar? Please support our work with a donation. Want to receive daily email alerts about new articles? Click here. How about getting our weekly newsletter? Sign up now.
MANY OF MY CLIENTS make donations to their favorite philanthropies in the final months of each year. With lower tax rates in …
PUBLIC SCHOOL teachers’ biggest problem isn’t rowdy students. Instead, it’s their retirement plans that should be sent to the dean’s office. After …
IN NOVEMBER 2006, I wrote an article for The Wall Street Journal about how to get started as an investor, even if …