Jonathan Clements | December 17, 2016
HOW MUCH are we all worth? The Credit Suisse Research Institute recently published its 2016 Global Wealth Report, as well as the accompanying Global Wealth Databook. It’s a tricky undertaking, given the difficulty of getting accurate data, even for developed countries. Still, the results are intriguing:
- U.S. families own 33.2% of the world’s $256 trillion net worth. This figure combines financial assets (think stocks and bonds) and real assets (principally housing), with household debts then subtracted.
- U.S. net worth averages $345,000 per adult, while the median net worth is $45,000. (The $345,000 average represents total U.S. net worth divided by all U.S. adults—and is skewed upward by the super-wealthy—while the $45,000 median represents the net worth of adults halfway down the wealth spectrum.) Worldwide, average net worth is $53,000 and median net worth is $2,200.
- Global gross wealth is split between 54.5% financial assets and 45.5% real assets, while debts are equal to 14.1% of gross wealth. In the U.S., financial assets make up a much larger portion of gross wealth—between 64% and 72%, depending on the methodology used.
- The U.S. is home to an impressive 41.2% of the world’s millionaires. Less impressive: 34.6% of U.S. adults have a net worth below $10,000, an alarming number, though better than the global figure of 73.2%.
- Among adults in North America, 9% have a negative net worth—a level similar to other regions of the world, including Asia Pacific, Latin America, Europe and Africa. Still, a negative net worth in a developed country like the U.S. doesn’t necessarily mean great day-to-day hardship, because the debt may reflect student loans owed by young adults and because incomes are so much higher than in other parts of the world.
Do you enjoy HumbleDollar? Please support our work with a donation. Want to receive daily email alerts about new articles? Click here.
ON THE AFTERNOON of Sunday, Sept. 28, 1941, it was cool and damp in Philadelphia. Inside Shibe Park, where the hometown Athletics …
THE MUSICIAN PRINCE died in 2016 at age 57, leaving behind a legacy of musical genius. Unfortunately, he also left behind an …
USING HIS CONTACTS and connections, our son landed an interview with a New York City health-care system. He was hired as a …